What is Prenatal Care during Pregnancy?
Prenatal care during pregnancy involves medical care by obstetrics and gynecology (OB/GYN) specialists to ensure you and your baby stay healthy while you’re pregnant and after delivery. Routine prenatal checkups help detect potential problems and prevent serious complications.
What is an initial obstetric consultation?
During your initial obstetric consultation, Dr. Modi meets with you to discuss the details of your pregnancy and establish a trusting relationship. She and her team:
- Check your weight, blood pressure, and other vital signs
- Review your medical history
- Answer questions you may have
- Complete a comprehensive physical exam
- Utilize blood and urine tests
- Might recommend an ultrasound
- Help you manage a chronic disease
Your initial prenatal assessment serves as a baseline for subsequent appointments and helps Dr. Modi detect or treat medical conditions when necessary.
She talks with you about lifestyle habits that increase your chances of a healthy pregnancy, such as eating a nutritious diet, getting regular exercise, managing chronic health conditions, avoiding alcohol and tobacco products, and taking prenatal vitamins.
What happens during subsequent prenatal appointments?
Although subsequent prenatal visits may not be as extensive as your first visit, Dr. Modi evaluates you and your baby’s health at each appointment.
The further along you are in your pregnancy the more often you’ll schedule prenatal appointments. Frequent visits might also be necessary if you’re classified as a high-risk pregnancy due to:
- Being significantly overweight or underweight
- Being older than age 35 or younger than 16
- A history of premature labor
- A history of miscarriages
- Being pregnant with multiple babies at once
- High blood pressure or another chronic disease
Dr. Modi listens to your baby’s heartbeat, orders ultrasounds when necessary, screens you for gestational diabetes, and offers genetic testing to detect fetal abnormalities before your baby is born. If you or your baby require treatment because of a medical condition, Dr. Modi reviews options with you.
What should I expect during labor and delivery?
The experienced OB/GYN providers at Women’s Health Care Specialists are there for you when you begin labor and delivery. Signs you’re in labor include:
- Clear or slightly bloody vaginal discharge
- Lower back pain or cramping
- Cervical dilation
- Ruptured membranes (your water breaks)
- Regular uterine contractions
If you suspect labor because your contractions last 30-90 seconds and become more intense or frequent, call Women’s Health Care Specialists. Dr. Modi and her team make you as comfortable as possible during your labor and delivery experience.
Here is the list of Hospitals Dr. Modi delivers at:
- Inova Alexandria Hospital 4320 Seminary Rd, Alexandria, VA 22304
- UM Prince George’s Hospital Center 3001 Hospital Drive, Cheverly, MD 20785
- Doctors Community Hospital 8118 Good Luck Rd, Lanham, MD 20706
OBGYNs Located in Greenbelt, MD & Alexandria, VA
Regular prenatal visits increase your chances of a healthy pregnancy. At Women’s Health Care Specialists in Greenbelt, Maryland and Alexandria, Virginia, board-certified Navita Modi, MD, FACOG, and her experienced OB/GYN team care for you before, during, and after pregnancy to help you and your baby thrive. If you’re pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant, schedule an appointment at Women’s Health Care Specialists by phone or online today.