Endometriosis, when left untreated, can lead to serious health complications including certain cancers and infertility.
Because not all doctors are qualified to treat it, you need an endometriosis doctor in Greenbelt, Maryland. Finding the best one isn’t difficult if you know what to do.
Why Is an Endometriosis Doctor Different From Any Other Doctor?
An endometriosis doctor is one that has had specialized training and years of experience treating the condition and other related women’s health issues. They are most often an OB/GYN that has extensive knowledge about female reproductive organs, issues, and pregnancy / childbirth. With an endo provider, you’ll get expertly managed care from diagnosis to treatment and beyond.
What Should I Consider When Searching for an Endometriosis Specialist?
Your search needs to be thorough to find the right endometriosis doctor. You might start by asking family and friends to make a recommendation. Also, ask your primary care provider for a referral. Chances are, they have a colleague in the field and will be happy to pass along their information.
It’s good to gather a few names to start with. Once you’ve gathered your list, you’ll want to find out specific information:
- Experience: How much experience does the doctor have in diagnosing and treating endometriosis? Do they treat conditions related to endometriosis?
- Specializations: Do they treat adolescent or adult endometriosis? Or both?
- Communication: Do you feel heard and understood? Does the doctor speak to you in terms you easily understand? Are they receptive to your input about your healthcare?
- Treatment: How does your endometriosis feel about hormonal-related treatment options? Are they open to clinical trials if they’re available to you? Does the doctor offer holistic treatments?
- Comfort: How comfortable are you speaking openly to the specialist? Is the environment one in which you feel safe?
- Coverage: Does the doctor accept your insurance? If so, do they file with your insurance carrier for you? If not, what payments do they accept? Is there financial help available?
While Conducting Your Health Care, Pay Attention to Red Flags
Remember you are looking for the best endometriosis doctor in Greenbelt, Maryland! When you come across the bad and the ugly, you’ll know it. Some red flags you should look out for include being told:
- A hysterectomy is the only treatment option
- That your symptoms will go away on their own or after menopause
- That recurring endometriosis can’t be treated
- You’re not at risk for infertility
- Hormone therapy is the only cure
- You’re too young for the condition
- It’s “only” irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS (symptoms of IBS are often confused with endometriosis)
How Will an Endometriosis Doctor Diagnose My Condition?
You’ll be asked about your symptoms and how long you’ve had them. You’ll also have a pelvic exam and tests. The usual tests to diagnose endometriosis are ultrasound, MRI, and laparoscopy (a surgical procedure to look inside your abdomen).
What Treatments Are Available for Endometriosis?
Fortunately, there are several endometriosis treatment options available. Yours will, of course, depend on your diagnosis and the severity of your condition. Your endometriosis doctor might recommend one or more of the following: pain medication to help you manage symptoms, hormone therapy, minimally invasive surgery, and / or fertility treatments. In severe cases, they may suggest a hysterectomy.
Where Do I Go to Find the Best Endometriosis Doctor in Greenbelt, Maryland?
If your priority is personalized, high-quality care with a holistic approach to wellness, then choose Women’s HealthCare Specialists.
If you are experiencing symptoms of endometriosis, we encourage you to not delay medical care. Contact us at 301-812-3400 to request your appointment, and know you don’t have to go through this alone!